Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Sleep Training
So, as some of you know, Luke's sleep has been awful lately. He wakes up super early, has midnight awakenings where he is up for hours at times, and isn't napping well. We decided something needed to happen because the lack of sleep is getting to me. On Friday night we began the "Sleep Lady Shuffle." It was recommended by a couple people and it seemed to be the most gentle approach compared to others. I knew I couldn't tolerate the cry it out method and have Luke in his room screaming all alone. The sleep lady shuffle sets a chair by the babies crib and lets you soothe the baby from that point...you can rub their back and shhhhh them but can't pick them up (unless they are in hysterics). They need to learn to self soothe. Every three nights you move the chair closer to the door. The bedtime routine has been working. It takes Luke about 10-15 minutes to fall asleep with no tears. Sunday night he didn't wake up and last night I heard him wake up twice but he put himself back to sleep. He even slept till 6:40am! Yeah! Although tonight was a bad night, it took over an hour for him to fall asleep and it was only because I rocked him until he got drowsy. I'm hoping this hocus pocus works and our little guy learns to be a better sleeper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
sounds like you are doing a good job!!
Wow! We need to talk! I should try this with GG, but the only trouble is that since she's not in a crib, she can escape and come find us. Any suggestions? I haven't heard the term "Sleep Lady Shuffle", but it sounds like the No-Cry Sleep Solution. Have you read that book?
The name of the book is good night, sleep tight by Kim West. She also has a website:
http://www.sleeplady.com/am_slumber.htm
I feel like it is a good medium. Luke fuses a little but as soon as we "shhh" or rub his back he is back at ease. So far I'm pleased with the results.
Post a Comment