Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mr. Sensitive

We tried switching Luke's formula per the GI doctor. She said when he approached a year old to try Nutramigen formula (a step below Luke's current formula). Since he is now slightly over ten months, we decided to try a few bottles of Nutramigen. All seemed well at first, no apparent blood or mucous. I tested a few which actually turned out positive but I thought it was because of his diaper rash. Then I noticed that he had a rash on his hip. The rash on his hip then turned to a rash under his armpit, his knee, his thigh and his lower back. I took him to the doctor today and she confirmed that he is definitely allergic to milk. The formula is supposed to be for milk allergic babies but still has a trace amount of broken down whey product. That apparently is still too much for Luke to handle. Poor little guy. He has been really fussy these last couple days so hopefully he'll be back to his normal self after he is off the Nutramigen. It is odd that he broke out like he did considering during the whole breastfeeding saga, he never broke out in a rash, just had blood in the stool. Now it seems to be the other way around. He is our sensitive guy. The doctor said he'll be on this formula well after his first birthday. Hopefully he will outgrow this allergy.

No comments: