Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

I'm happy to see that Earth Day is getting more hype this year. I believe if everyone is more informed on the impact each of us has on the Earth, it will truly open peoples eyes to make a change. We have been changing our lifestyle in atempts to become more green. Some of the things we have been doing:
- Composting all our veggie and fruit waste along with grass clippings and even Luke's G diapers
- Using cloth diapers on Luke and the occasional G diaper or Chlorine Free disposable for night time. Also using cloth baby wipes.
- Using home-made non-toxic cleaning supplies around the house. We just bought some green cleaning stuff at Costco that has worked really well.
- Switching our detergent, liquid soap, dishwasher detergent and Luke's baby care products to non-toxic products.
- I try to walk as much as possible to the store, cleaners, etc.
- All of our light bulbs are fluorescent
- We built Solatubes into the garage to have natural light
- I try and use my reusable shopping bags everywhere I go
- We recycle everything that has a code on it
- We are currently looking into a water filter so we don't have to keep buying plastic water bottles. So much waste
- I've contacted companies to take me off their mailing list for catalogs so we're not receiving so much paper
-Buying organic whenever possible
I remain on the look out for more things I can do. I feel like I'm making a difference....and helping the Earth for Luke and his kids kids.

2 comments:

Cathi Hamen said...

hey our dinner plans got postponed, bummer, but we would love to hang longer at Lukes party.... i think now we will come b/t 3:30 -4 after we make an appearance at Mandy's game... (my best friends daughter)

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Hey! Good going on all this stuff! Where do you get the cloth wipes or what do you use? And how?? Something I've always wanted to do, but never really knew where to start (that, and Greta doesn't really have any poopy diapers).